Sunday, December 2, 2012

Clean your bedroom!!!


I don't know how many other parents deal with the stress known as their ADHD'ers bedroom but it is a CONSTANT source of struggle for us.

Last week we went to J's ADHD dr and I asked him about this and explained how much of a fight it was. I explained that it usually ended in a major meltdown.

Here is what he suggested:

First off, make up a check list that he can see spelling out what you consider a clean room. Keep is age appropriate.

Tell him on Saturday morning that it is (whatever time it might be) and he has until 9am Monday morning to clean his room. That you will remind him only once a day that his room needs to be cleaned.

(After you make sure he understands what you have just told him go to the next step of your explanation.)

Next explain to him the he leaves for school at 7am (Whatever time he leaves) and that at 9am you will go in there and clean it how you expect it to be cleaned. Make him understand that at 9am he will NOT be there to protect all his little precious treasures.

This seemed to make an impact on J for a few minutes. I'll admit, he's room is still a disaster but I fully intend to get in there on Monday morning and prove to him I wasn't kidding. J's dr made it a point to stress the importance of following through. Mind you, I don't plan on throwing away the stuff that is really important to J. I just plan to hide it for a while to make an impact. Sometimes drastic situations need drastic measures take to clear them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment