Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bedroom cleaning checklist

In my last post I told you about how difficult it was to get J to clean his room. I also shared with you what J's ADHD Dr. suggested I try. I mentioned that he said to create a check list for J to refer to. ADHD children tend to be very visual learners. Check lists really help J and he does well with them.

I know what my idea of a check list is but I have heard from J that sometimes I make them TOO long. Or he doesn't exactly understand what I mean. So, off to the web I went. I entered in a few simple words, "easy bedroom check list for kids." Third listing down I found a great link. I highly recommend you take a look at it. Bedroom Cleaning for Kids One of the best ideas the article had was to label where things went. Example: Place a "Shirts" label on the shirt drawer of the dresser. Again, back to the visual ques.

With these recommendations in mind I created a simple checklist.

Example:

[   ] All trash picked up
[   ] All bedding on the bed
[   ] All dirty clothes in the basket
[   ] All toys picked up
[   ] Book shelf is neat
[   ] Clothes are folded and put in the dresser neatly

I added a simple picture
And a colorful title to attract his attention. Let's face it, even adults hate looking a check lists. Let's make it fun to look at!

After that I printed out the check list and placed it in one of those plastic protector sheets. This will allow J to make a check with a dry erase marker that can be removed later. I then taped it close. J is sneaking and I can see him pulling the list out and it disappearing. Using 4 small Velcro squares I attached the list to his full length mirror where it would be easy for him to see and reach. Because the protective sheets are meant to go into a binder they have the 3 holes on the side. I took a piece of twine and attached it to one of the holes. Then I attached it to the dry erase marker with tape. 

And there I had it, affordable reusable checklist! lol Now, lets see if it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment